Here's what's happening in the week of April 27th, 2020 within the FINOS community. Please feel free to forward this email to colleagues and industry partners who you think will be interested in FINOS. If someone forwarded this email to you and you'd like to subscribe, please send a note to community+subscribe@finos.
org and you'll be added to the mailing list.
As we move into another week of lock down, social distancing and adapting to new styles of working, I'm pleased to report open source in FINOS is moving forward strongly with positive momentum building across FINOS projects over the past week. Lets keep going with this great level of activity and continue to support the new normal as a joined up FINOS community.
Did you know there's a new and recently contributed FDC3 Desktop Agent available in the FINOS GitHub Organisation for you to clone, install and develop locally against FDC3 1.1 Standards. Also, it was great being part of Cloud Service Certification and Plexus Interop last week who are introducing new collaborators to both projects and spinning new ideas. Let's keep the energy and ideas flowing!
Finally, this week I'm excited to hear from Heiko Sundermann from FINOS member EPAM who are inviting FINOS community pre-contribution feedback at Wednesday's FINOS virtual meetup at 11am ET / 4pm BST on EPAM Glue, a project the team has developed to unify entity and data modelling for the Buy-Side. Join the FINOS virtual meetup to hear more about EPAM's potential FINOS contribution.
Monday, April 27th
- No programs activities planned.
Tuesday, April 28th
Wednesday, April 29th
- 11am ET / 4pm BST London Open Source Fintech Meetup
- 12pm ET / 5pm BST. FINOS Office Hours - Community Drop-in
FINOS [virtual] Meetups:
Wednesday, April 29th
- 11am ET / 4pm BST. Heiko Sundermann, of FINOS member EPAM
- Topic: EPAM GLUE Project, developing a unified entity and data model for the Buy-Side
- Buy-side firms are under enormous pressure not to miss out on the digitalisation wave. Changing client demands, regulatory pressure and the rapid adoption of structured quantitative investment management approaches are fueling investment into digitalization and data driven Asset & Wealth Management. But Buy-side firms face challenges including legacy infrastructure and inappropriate data storage. Open API architectures and traditional data-warehousing approaches are not always easy to adopt or are not suited to meeting high-performance requirements. EPAM have created an investment management eco-system delivering a comprehensive set of components, the foundation of which is EPAM GLUE, a unified entity and data model serving as a common semantic layer to all components. EPAM GLUE provides the flexibility to model hierarchical data structures as well as complex legal entity structures. Concurrently it addresses the problems of data-security, auditability and privacy minimizing integration costs and implementation risks. EPAM is keen to open-source this approach and contribute it to the FINOS community to develop it further and extend it with more data-entities. This session will give a general introduction and dive into the core modelling concept of EPAM GLUE.
- Register here
Wednesday, May 13th
- 11am ET / 4pm BST. Stephen Murphy, CEO of new FINOS member Genesis
- Topic: Open Source Technology to build and constantly evolve a Low Code Application Platform
- Genesis will be presenting how they used a variety of Open Source technologies to build a Low Code Application Platform (LCAP) for Capital Markets and some key Open Source technologies used within their LCAP. They will also talk about some of the future Open Source technologies as well as FINOS initiatives that they are contributing towards to help drive standards and re-use across our industry. These initiatives includes such as Financial Objects and FDC3.
- Registration details to follow on this page
- May 1 Open Collective Virtual Funding Event
- Join Indeed, the Open Source Collective, and others as we come together at the first FOSS Responders Virtual Funding Event.
- FOSS Funders will come together on May 1, 2020 to distribute funds to free and open source event organizers who have had to cancel their events due to COVID-19. If you want to participate as a FOSS Funder, please email foss-responders@
- If you are a conference or event organizer who serves the free and open source software community, and you have experienced financial losses due to COVID-19 related conference cancellations, please apply for support
- Attendance is by invitation only.
Have a great week and please contact me at email@example.com if you have any questions and especially if you would like to present at a future FINOS virtual meetup.