When we started the FDC3 organization last October, we put together a small group of 12 interested parties. Our intention was to see if there was appetite in the industry to set real standards for interoperability of desktop applications. And with 4x growth in less than a year, the answer seems to be a resounding “yes”.
Financial desktops are host to dozens of applications at any given time. Throw into that mix high value and high pressure workflows, a wide array of in-house and 3rd party apps and you have an environment ripe for transformation. For many firms across the industry, interoperability is right at the top of their digital transformation agenda.
The primary goal of FDC3 is to create a framework of standards that would enable any number of applications on a financial desktop to interoperate in a meaningful way without having any prior knowledge of each other’s APIs. Simply by following a common standard, apps can be discovered and work together to connect workflows, share data, provide analytics, execute trades, and more.
Today, FDC3 is a member program of FINOS, and FDC3 standards are already being put into production use by the community. But, there is still much more to be done; successful standards don’t just appear. We need the full involvement of the fintech community to make this vision a reality.
Here is what you can do:
- Join the FDC3 Program and participate!
- Attend and contribute to Working Groups
- Provide feedback
- Offer to minute meetings, copy edit, blog
- Make contributions to FDC3 specs and reference implementation code
- Share and demo the FDC3 implementations you have done
- Lead an FDC3 meet up
- Commit to support the FDC3 standards – standards cannot live without implementations
- Contribute time to maintaining FDC3 specifications, implementations, and taxonomies you rely on
For inquiries or to learn more about how to join please email firstname.lastname@example.org.