Here's what's happening during the week of April 4, 2022 within the FINOS community.
Mark your calendars!
If you are in London on Wednesday the 20th of April, join the FINOS team and community for our second in-person Open Source in Finance meetup of 2022. Hear talks from David Watkins and Jessica Woodland-Scott from the Waltz open source team as they introduce the project, the evolution of Waltz, and what it's like to be open source contributors in banking. If you are not able to attend in-person, we will be broadcasting the meetup presentations via Zoom, but you still must register for the meetup to access the live-steamed event.
We are thrilled to announce our Executive Director Gabriele Columbro is a finalist for the 2022 Banking Tech Awards USA -Tech Leadership award. The Banking Tech Awards USA offer categories for banks, financial institutions, software providers, teams and individuals to enter. The Banking Tech Awards recognize excellence and innovation in the banking and fintech industry, and the people who make it happen. Stay tuned for when the winners are announced on May 19!
On March 31st & April 1st, our friends from different areas of FINOS engaged the FSI Community for a fantastic and inspiring cause. The 5th annual FSI Hackathon for Autism, led by Leo Junquera, Managing Director at Ernst & Young, and Peter Smulovics, Executive Director at Morgan Stanley and FINOS Open Source Readiness SIG Co-Chair, brought together FSI developers from the best of the financial services industry, with Microsoft's cloud to help demonstrate how to digitally transform the landscape for high needs individuals and families for a two-day hybrid hackathon event. Stay tuned for a full event recap with all the use-cases and technical resources highlights!
Last Wednesday, March 30th our FINOS Director of Community, James McLeod joined the Scott Logic team in Bristol UK for an exciting in-person Open Source Bristol Meetup! The event covered talks in Apache Pulsar’s scalability and Cloud Native capabilities for Fintech to Building a Scalable event streaming and messaging platform using Apache Pulsar for Fintech. The live stream recording of the meetup is available now on Scott Logic’s YouTube Channel.
The FINOS Community Microsite is LIVE! The site hosts a wide array of FINOS documentation, including the FINOS Project Lifecycle, FINOS Governance Materials, and information related to wider FINOS Collaboration.
Please give us your thoughts on the new FINOS microsite submitting your feedback on the FINOS Community Repo by Raising a GitHub Issue, Raising a Pull Request or by emailing email@example.com.
The latest FINOS Open Source in Finance Podcasts feature our FINOS Compliant Financial Infrastructure project, led by Eddie Knight - Managing Consultant, Synechron and FINOS's own James McLeod, Director of Community, and then Head of Marketing Grizz Griswold interviews Rob Moffat, our new Senior Technical Architect, discussing his developer journey from banks to FINOS, and then a developer's thoughts on the power of open source in financial services.
Sunday, April 10, 2022 is the last day to submit proposals for Open Source in Finance Forum, London happening on Wednesday 13th July 2022. Please make sure to Submit Your Proposal Now and join our growing list of financial services experts. If you’re not sure about your abstract, contact the FINOS team and we’ll be more than happy to help.
(You may have noticed a change in format on This Week at FINOS (TWAF) - we're trying to streamline our communications some to be of more value to our community. If you any have thoughts how we can continue to make this TWAF more readable and valuable to you - our Community - please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know!)
WEEK OF 4 APRIL - MEETINGS & EVENTS
Here's what's happening during the week of April 4th, 2022 within the FINOS community.
Please forward this email to colleagues and industry partners who you think will be interested in FINOS. If someone forwarded this email to you and you'd like to subscribe, please send a note to email@example.com and you'll be added to the mailing list.
Monday, April 4th
- 9am ET / 2pm GMT. FDC3: App Directory Discussion Group
- Discussion group to develop proposals for the improvement of the App Directory as part of the FDC3 standard. The group will examine the role/value/necessity of the AppD as part of the FDC3 specification and a compliance requirement for use of the FDC3 API, in addition to working on proposals to improve the description and functionality of the App Directory.
- Calendar invite | Webex | Agenda or Issues
Tuesday, April 5th
- 12pm ET / 5pm GMT. FINOS Regulation Innovation SIG (monthly meeting)
Wednesday, April 6th
- 9am ET / 2pm GMT. FDC3: Desktop Agent Bridging Discussion Group
- 10am ET / 3pm GMT. Open Source Readiness SIG
- The purpose of the OSR SIG is to accelerate financial services firms’ journeys toward open source readiness. The concrete goals of the SIG are to 1) advance the readiness of participants’ firms and 2) to provide guidance for the broader industry in the form of white papers, presentations, and blog posts.
- Calendar invite | Webex | Agenda or Issues
Thursday, April 7th
- No project or SIG meetings planned for today.
Friday, April 8th
- 10am ET / 3pm GMT. CFI - Open Compliance for CDMC Project Meeting
- April 7 - 9am GMT / 4am ET GDS Security Summit
- FINOS Director of Community James McLeod leading panel:
- The Open Source Security Journey - from cynic to disciple
- Panel features Robb Keayes - Nomura Bank, Peter Thomas - Deutsche Bank, and Paul D Fox - Morgan Stanley
- April 20 - 6pm BST / 1pm ET FINOS Open Source in Finance Hybrid London Meetup
- Register for online or in-person
- Space is limited - so you must register to attend
- The meetup will be around the FINOS Waltz Project - more details to follow
State of Open Source in Financial Services Report 2021 - Learn about what is really happening around open source in FSI.
This Week at FINOS Blog - See what is happening at FINOS each week.
FINOS Landscape - See our landscape of FINOS open source and open standard projects.
Community Calendar - Scroll through the calendar to find a meeting to join.
FINOS Slack Channels - The FINOS Slack provides our Community another public channel to discuss work in FINOS and open source in finance more generally.
Project Status Dashboard - See a live snapshot of our community contributors and activity.
FINOS Virtual "Meetups" Videos & Slides - See replays of our virtual "meetups" based around the FINOS Community and Projects since we can't all be in the same room right now.
FINOS Open Source in Finance Podcasts - Listen and subscribe to the first open source in fintech and banking podcasts for deeper dives on our virtual "meetup" and other topics.