Here's what's happening in the week of December 2nd, 2019 within the FINOS community. Please feel free to forward this email to colleagues and industry partners who you think will be interested in FINOS. If someone forwarded this email to you and you'd like to subscribe, please send a note to community+subscribe@finos.
org and you'll be added to the mailing list.
As the FINOS community returns after an awesome Thanksgiving, we're continuing the holiday spirit with an Advent of Code, an Advent calendar of small programming puzzles for a variety of skill sets and skill levels that can be solved in any programming language. You don't need a computer science background to participate - just a little programming knowledge and a willingness to have fun!
To play, simply login to Advent of Code, using GitHub, Google, Twitter or Reddit and browse to Day 1 to start solving Advent puzzles! 🏻⭐️
Now, as we're approaching the end of year one of the FDC3 1.0 standards, we’re asking for your feedback on how well FDC3 is addressing the needs of financial organizations, how we can help you with adoption, and the health of the FDC3 contributor community.
Your input will help us improve our support for your organization and the larger FDC3 community. Please take a few minutes to complete the FDC3 Survey.
As we approach the end of the first year of the FDC3 1.0 standards, we’re asking for feedback on how well FDC3 is addressing the needs of financial organizations, how we can help you with adoption, and the health of the FDC3 contributor community. Your input will help us improve our support for your organization and the larger FDC3 community. Please take a few minutes to complete the FDC3 Survey.
Monday December 2nd
- 11am ET / 4pm BST. KDB Project (Data Technologies Program)
Tuesday, December 3rd
- No program activities planned.
Wednesday, December 4th
- 10am ET / 3pm BST. FINOS Open Source Readiness WG (FDX Program)
- 12pm ET / 5pm BST. Open Developer Platform Project (FDX Program)
- 10am ET / 3pm BST. Cloud Service Certification Project (FDX Program)
- 11am ET / 4pm BST. Data Technologies PMC Call (Data Technologies Program)
- 12pm ET / 5pm BST. Financial Objects Project (Financial Objects Program)
Friday, December 6th
- 12pm ET / 5pm BST FINOS Office Hours (new!)
- A place for all FINOS members and contributors to hang out and ask us anything.
- Join the Community WebEx
- December 9-15 Global CS Education Week: Hour of Code in Brooklyn, NY
- As we heard powerfully from Keesa in the Diversity panel at OSSF, building a sustainable open source community means not only building the community of today, but planting the seeds for the community of tomorrow. This theme was also echoed in the AVC post from FINOS launch day.
In addition to the financial support that many FINOS members already provide to organizations like CSForAll, Girls Who Code, and Black Girls Code, a concrete action individuals within the FINOS community can take is to lend a hand to children and young adults learning how to code and introduce them to open source concepts and practices. If you're in New York City the week of December 9 - 15 (Global CS Education Week) and are interested in volunteering to go to a school in Brooklyn to help run a "Hour of Code" with local school children, feel free to reach out to Rob at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- December 9 Open Fintech (Linux foundation)
- Convene Conference Center at One Liberty Plaza, 1 Liberty Street New York NY 10006 [Map]
Get Involved. Opportunities for further participation and contribution:
- The Decentralized Ecosystem Growth Program is looking for suggested potential use cases of the Token Taxonomy Initiative (i.e. uses of standardized token definitions) to help that program further evaluate how the FINOS community might get involved in that initiative.Take a look at the initiative's launch press release and website for more information and background. To find out more send a note to email@example.com.
- The Financial Objects Program is looking for suggestions of proposed use cases for financial objects. Send suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Open Source Readiness WG is looking for open source process, policy, and governance questions & topics for future meetings. Send suggestions to email@example.com.
- The Security Reference Data WG (Data Technologies Program) is looking for existing challenges related to managing Security Reference Data. Send suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Cloud Service Certification Project has defined Volunteer Roles for those who would like to participate. Reach out to fdx-cloud-service-
email@example.com you're interested.
- The Call Metadata Standardization WG is developing a standard proposal for call recording metadata that includes call details, voice recordings, and transcribed voice, and is looking for contributors and call examples to validate the standard. Check out the list of Help Wanted issues.